Sunday, March 26, 2006

Possible Music Lover's Paradise?

After sending my little sister to her friend's house for a birthday party, my dad decided he wanted to go CD shopping. So we went to this music store in Parkwell/Mega Hotel because that's practically the only place in Miri where you can get albums of bands from long-gone eras that Speedy doesn't carry. In our case, my dad was looking for Electric Light Orchestra, or something like that. Anyway, as he was doing his shopping, I browsed through the store's collection...

Eh? What's this? Finch?! Wow, never thought I'd find that in Miri...

Woah!! Hawthorne Heights?! Matchbook Romance?! Damn....

Oh, Holy Moly, Within Temptation??? HIM??? Lacuna Coil????!!! Is this for real?!

Oh my goodness! Armor For Sleep!!

Ok, I'm not a fan of some the bands mentioned, but I am more than surprised, and very impressed that this store carries those albums! Seriously, these artists aren't exactly mainstream in their own respective countries, let alone in Malaysia, and today I found out that this quaint little store right here in Miri houses their albums!!

WOW

I *heart* Miri

Now, if only the store houses Indie bands like Arcade Fire, Death Cab For Cutie, Broken Social Scene and all that, it'll be perfect...

Oh, yeah...The store didn't have the CD my dad was looking for, so he bought something else instead. As for myself, I bought Armor For Sleep's 'What To Do When You Are Dead' and The Used's 'In Love And Death'. There goes my RM 90....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy shit.
did u buy the old albums by within tmptn, finch, lacuna coil etc???

mintak eh.
shit i'm so gonna go back there the next time i shop for albums.

Kim said...

careful ah.. sometimes that place sells pirated CDs instead.. so make sure you check it, k? cos sometimes they tampal the original sticker on the plastic so when you buy the CD, they take back the plastic cover. ok ok? :P check to see that the CD is original too.

that place has been around for years. i think arina sorta influenced them to start importing all those CDs. hahaha. and that's why that place carries all those sort of CDs. =)

me_yasmin said...

Steffi - Yes, yes! We should go in a big group and attack that place!! Just get ready the money money moneeehhh! This time I wanna buy Hawthorne Heights and Finch!!

Kimi - Hey, thanks for warning me! I've actually been to that place hundreds of times before, when i was heavily into pop music (BSB, 'N sync, bla bla...). Now that i've moved on to other genres like alternative, indie, a bit of punk and emo, I noticed that music stores hardly carry albums of those genres. Hell, I thought the only way i could get original copies of those albums is when I'll be studying in Australia next year (hopefully.fingers crossed).

You can imagine how happy I was to rediscover that store the other day. I actually wished you guys were with me. Heh. Betcha we'll all be squeeling happily...

So you say that Arina played a part in this? I shall worship the very grounds that she walks on... Hey, you think I can do the same? Maybe I can get them to import P!ATD and others. And since we're on the subject, is Amarantine by Enya worth a listen? I'm curious..

Man,this has got to be the longest comment i've ever made! And in my own blog, too...
So weird, haha!

Kim said...

lol. you can try. convince the shopkeeper that importing those CDs would bring more business. hahaha. promise that you and ur frens would buy them. (then you buy for me, ur fren) lol.

not sure about the new enya album. am yet to hear any of her tracks. uh.. yeah.. everytime they play her new video on tv, i sorta change the channel. no mood to layan. hahahahaha.

Kim said...

update, freek.

Anonymous said...

If you're referring to Melody in Parkwell .... erm... I think it's Melody.... or the other shop. Not the big one, I think it's the small shop with dim lighting. Forgot already.....

...they have original CDs that do not have the so-called 'original' sticker. They are imported CDs. This includes cassettes too. Mostly albums which got banned or did not re-printed locally. The inlays are different from those of local reprinted ones, and not that plain like those pirated ones either. You can tell it's original by looking at the CD itself. That should explain why they have many rare CDs.

I know coz I had bought original imported version of Cradle of Filth's 'From Cradle to Enslave EP' CD there last time. Damn those CD pirates only have mainstream bands.

Kim said...

ha. ha. i'm laughing. that does NOT constitute updating! grr. freak.

Anonymous said...

that place had gotten smaller ever since i menjejak miri..i bought some SOAD concert VCDs there before, it kinda reminds me bout Dallas CD store back in kuching, they got heaps of underground shit there..i bought my first ever The Used cassette with my cousin, right before they've became famous..among emo music lovers lohh..